Saturday, March 17, 2012

"Walking the Golf Courses of Rhode Island"

What better way to embrace the wonders of the golf courses of a region than to put them under your feet?  As a young boy I would often simply walk golf courses to try and understand what the holes were asking of the players.  Having grown up on the courses of New England, I have always been enamored with the great history and rich traditions of the game and the courses.  In my professional life as a Golf Course Architect, I am afforded the opportunity to study golf courses for a living.  It is a part of what I do almost every day...so this got me thinking.  Why not start an ongoing dialogue with the lovers of golf in the region?  It only made sense to start my journey in Rhode Island, where I have established my office and where I am surrounded by numerous intriguing layouts.  From the stalwarts like Newport CC to the hidden gems at Sakonnet and Triggs to the new layouts at Shelter Harbor and Carnegie Abbey, there's a lot of ground to cover.

My journey will be entitled "Walking the Golf Courses of Rhode Island" and will encompass commentary and discussion about courses following my visit and walk along the holes.  This journey will not be limited to only the better known courses, but will cover all of the golf holes of Rhode Island.  This will not happen overnight, but will take place over the next year.  My intention is not so much to play these courses, but to make their acquaintance.  Inevitably, I will be privileged to meet some of the many personalities that know these courses intimately and bring some of their unique perspectives to my writings.

So, as I embark, I am sending out a warning to all the Clubs of Rhode Island if you get a call or a knock on the door out of the blue on a Friday morning from a guy looking to walk your course, it's probably me....I look forward to meeting.

Let the conversation begin....our walk starts at the Misquamicut Club in Watch Hill.  Watch for our upcoming blog.

Looking to the green #3 at Misquamicut

No comments:

Post a Comment